Safety is our #1 Goal
The mission of the Bowling Green Transportation Department is to safely and efficiently transport students while enhancing the educational process of all students. To accomplish that mission, Bowling Green buses safely travel over 450,000 miles annually.
Riding a school bus is the safest way for your child to travel to and from school. Please spend time with your child discussing school bus safety.
What Children Should Be Taught about School Bus Safety
- Wait until the driver says it is safe to board, then get on one at a time.
- When you are getting off the school bus, walk 10 giant steps in front of the bus. Watch the bus driver. When the bus driver signals that it is safe to cross in front of the bus, pause at the edge of the bus and look left-right-left again for traffic. If there is no traffic, continue crossing the street.
- Ask the bus driver for help if you drop something while getting on or off the school bus.
- Keep your loose items inside of your book bag.
- Once on the school bus, go directly to your seat and sit down facing forward. Remain in your seat, facing forward, until it is time to get off the bus.
- Most importantly, remember the bus driver is in charge. They will give directions and all students must obey and follow the directions.
School Bus Rules
Ohio law specifies certain rules for passengers aboard school buses and school vans. These rules are in place to ensure safe operation for both the driver as well as the passengers. All passengers are required to follow these rules as well as applicable sections of Ohio Revised Code, Ohio Administrative Code and Board of Education Policy.
For the protection of our drivers and passengers, all activity on school buses owned by the Bowling Green City School District is recorded by video and by audio.
The following rules are posted inside of each school bus in our district. To ensure the safe operations of our buses, and the safety of our drivers and passengers, it is required that all passengers adhere to these rules.
FOLLOW DIRECTIONS: The bus driver is in charge of the bus. The bus driver will give directions. You are responsible to listen and follow all directions the first time they are given.
SIT PROPERLY: You must remain seated in the same seat for the entire ride, keeping your body out of the aisle, and inside of the bus at all times. Keep your things on your lap.
BE RESPECTFUL: Be respectful of all people and property through your words and actions.
KEEP IT CLEAN: Leave the bus cleaner than you found it. Do not eat or drink on the bus. Do not litter. If you notice vandalism, please let the bus driver know.
BE QUIET: You must be silent at railroad crossings and any time the bus driver asks for silence. At all other times, speak quietly to those sitting next to you.
Our district school bus fleet is a Three-Star Green Fleet. Thanks to a large grant, our buses feature Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) and use Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel. We do purchase biodiesel when fiscally responsible to do so.
We also adhere to our anti-idling policy which requires our fleet to be turned off in school loading zones. These three measures have enabled us to drastically reduce our carbon footprint and to leave the Bowling Green area cleaner for our students and our residents.